Motorist involved in crash with Prince Philip that left her with a broken wrist is BANNED from driving and fined £450 for speeding
- Emma Fairweather was in a Kia which collided with Philip’s Land Rover in January
- The 46-year-old pleaded guilty to four motoring offences unrelated to the crash
- She was banned from driving for six months at King’s Lynn Magistrates’ Court
Emma Fairweather (pictured), who was involved in a car crash with Prince Philip in January this year, has been sentenced for four unrelated motoring offences
A woman who criticised the Duke of Edinburgh after his Sandringham car crash left her with a broken wrist has been fined and banned from driving for six months over four unconnected earlier motoring offences.
Emma Fairweather was a passenger in a Kia car which collided with Philip’s Land Rover Freelander on January 17 this year.
The 46-year-old, who called for Philip to be prosecuted if found to be at fault, was sentenced in her absence at King’s Lynn Magistrates’ Court today.
She had faced two counts of speeding and two of failing to identify the driver of a Volkswagen Golf alleged to have been guilty of an offence last year.
The Volkswagen Golf was caught exceeding the 30mph limit by a speed camera in Taverham, Norfolk on July 14, 2018 and on August 29, 2018, according to court papers.
It was recorded at 38mph on the first occasion and at 39mph on the second.
The offences of failing to identify the driver are alleged to have happened on August 21, 2018 and October 3, 2018.
A court official said Fairweather entered guilty pleas to the four offences in writing and she was sentenced behind closed doors on Tuesday under the single justice procedure.
Fairweather, of Heacham, Norfolk was fined a total of £450 for the four offences, banned from driving for six months and ordered to pay £115 in costs, the court official said.
Collision: The crash scene after the the Land Rover Freelander Philip was driving collided with the Kia when he pulled out of a driveway on the Sandringham estate on to a busy A road
Damage: The duke’s car flipped over and he was trapped, and had to be rescued through the sun roof by a passing motorist
On the afternoon of January 17, the Land Rover Freelander Philip was driving collided with the Kia when he pulled out of a driveway on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk on to a busy A road, after being dazzled by the low sun.
The duke’s car flipped over and he was trapped, and had to be rescued through the sun roof by a passing motorist.
Philip, who was driving without a protection officer, was left ‘very shocked and shaken’.
He reportedly said ‘I’m such a fool’ as he was pulled from the wrecked car by witness Roy Warne.
Buckingham Palace said well-wishes had been exchanged with the occupants, but Ms Fairweather said she had only received a message from her police family liaison officer saying: ‘The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh would like to be remembered to you.’
Three weeks after the crash, Buckingham Palace announced that Philip’s driving days on public roads were finally over (pictured, the Duke driving in May last year)
She described her upset that no-one from the royal family had contacted her to offer an apology.
Shortly before her newspaper interview was made public, a lady-in-waiting for the Queen called and left a voicemail.
The duke was given a precautionary check-up in hospital the day after the crash, and was said to have ‘no injuries of the concern’.
The duke’s brand-new replacement Land Rover was delivered to the Sandringham estate just hours after the incident.
He was then seen driving without a seatbelt 48 hours after the crash.
Ms Fairweather branded Philip ‘highly insensitive and inconsiderate’, and he was accused by the chairman of the British Safety Council of sending the ‘wrong message to the rest of us’ by not wearing his seatbelt.
A diagram showing where the collision took place near the Sandringham estate in Norfolk
Police spoke to the duke about the legal requirement to wear a belt and he also underwent an eyesight test, which he passed.
Three weeks after the crash, Buckingham Palace announced that Philip’s driving days on public roads were finally over.
‘After careful consideration the Duke of Edinburgh has taken the decision to voluntarily surrender his driving licence,’ the palace said.
Norfolk Police confirmed that a file on the investigation into the crash had been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), which, five days later, announced that Philip will face no further action.
Chris Long, Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS East of England, said the level of culpability, the duke’s age and his surrender of his driving licence had been taken into account, and it had been decided it is not in the public interest to prosecute.