Murder probe is launched after boy, 17, is stabbed to death close to London’s Regent’s Park – the capital’s 105th killing of the year
- Officers were called to Church Street in Westminster at around 1.55pm today
- The teenager was found with several stab injuries and was rushed to hospital
- Pronounced dead shortly after arrival and police are appealing for witnesses
Police in London have launched a murder probe after a 17-year-old boy was stabbed to death near Regent’s Park.
Officers were called to Edgware Road off the junction of Church Street in Westminster this afternoon where they found the teenager to be suffering from several stab injuries.
He was rushed to hospital, but was pronounced dead at around 7.30pm this evening.
The killing is the 105th of the year in London, which comes just days after a mother-of-one was fatally stabbed in the Kentish Town area of the city.
Police officers pictured on the scene this evening – which has been closed off following the killing
Forensic officers were pictured on the scene this evening after a 17-year-old was stabbed to death earlier in the day
The family of the 17-year-old has been informed, and no arrests have yet been made.
Bunches of flowers have been strapped to a lamppost yards from where the youngster was knifed while police tape has been put up around a row of shops with officers standing guard.
Many shops were open for business as usual while market traders in Church Street were setting up for the day.
Witnesses said a group of around 40 people, many thought to be students from a nearby college, gathered as paramedics tried to save the boy.
A market trader, who did not want to be named, said: ‘I saw him on the floor and the ambulance came.
‘There were a lot of people around, students from the college.
‘I saw him move twice, but after that he didn’t move again.’
DCI Andy Partridge, from the Specialist Crime Command said: ‘This awful attack took place in broad daylight in a busy part of central London. A teenager with his whole life ahead of him has been taken away from his family who have been left heartbroken.
‘We know that lots of people were in the area at the time and may well have seen what unfolded.
‘We need them to do the right thing and get in touch right away with what they saw along with any images or moving footage captured before, during or after the attack.
The attack is said to have happened earlier today and police were called to the area (above) at around 1.55pm
‘There is a college nearby and many young people would have been on their break.
‘We are keen to hear from anyone with information that can help us build a clearer picture of what took place and bring those involved to justice.’
This is while superintendent Andy Britain said that the force was ‘horrified’ by the attack and said they would be doing ‘everything in our power’ to apprehend those behind the crime.
‘I want to reassure the residents and communities of Westminster that our officers are working with partners to do all we can to prevent such tragic attacks and are determined day and night to apprehend those involved and take weapons off the streets.
‘A section 60 has been authorised in the surrounding area from 1515hrs on Tuesday, 10 September until 0500hrs on Wednesday, 11 September. Officers will be patrolling the areas to enforce this Section 60
Anyone with information concerning this murder is asked to call police on 101 quoting CAD 3755/10Sept or Crimestoppers anonymously via 0800 555 111.
LONDON’S MURDERS IN 2019
Where the 105 murders in the capital so far this year have been committed
- Jan 1: Charlotte Huggins, 32, Camberwell
- Jan 1: Tudor Simionov, 33, Mayfair
- Jan 4: Simbiso Aretha Moula, 39, Rainham
- Jan 6: Sarah Ashraf, 35, Isle of Dogs
- Jan 7: Jayden Moody, 14, Waltham Forest
- Jan 11: Asma Begum, 31, Canning Town
- Jan 27: Kamil Malysz, 34, Acton
- Jan 29: Nedim Bilgin, 17, Islington
- Feb 4: Carl Thorpe, 46, Highgate
- Feb 5: Lejean Richards, 19, Battersea
- Feb 10: Dennis Anderson, 39, East Dulwich
- Feb 18: Bright Akinlele, 22, Camden
- Feb 19: Brian Wieland, 69, Chingford
- Feb 21: Glendon Spence, 23, Brixton
- Feb 22: Kamali Gabbidon-Lynck, 19, Wood Green
- Feb 25: David Lopez-Fernandez, 38, Tower Hamlets
- Feb 26: Che Morrison, 20, Ilford
- Mar 1: Jodie Chesney, 17, Harold Hill
- Mar 2: Elize Linda Stevens, 50, Hendon
- Mar 2: Jolia Bogdan, 3 months, Croydon
- Mar 3: Mohamed Elmi, 37
- Mar 6: Laureline Garcia-Bertaux, 34, Kew
- Mar 6: David Martinez, 26, Leyton
- Mar 7: Antoinette Donnegan, 52, Battersea
- Mar 7: Ayub Hassan, 17, West Kensington
- Mar 10: Florin Pitic, 20, Queensbury
- Mar 16: Nathaniel Armstrong, 29, Fulham
- Mar 22: Abdirashid Mohamoud, 17, Isleworth
- Mar 24: Ravi Katharkamar, 54, Pinner
- Mar 27: Ramane Richard Wiggan, 25, West Norwood
- Mar 28: Zahir Visiter, 25, Regents Park
- Mar 29: Gavin Garraway, 40, Clapham
- Apr 1: Calvin Bungisa, 22, Kentish Town
- Apr 2: Hubert Hall, 60, Walthamstow
- Apr 7: Annabelle Lancaster, 22, Enfield
- Apr 8: Noore Bashir Salad, 22, Manor Park
- Apr 16: Gopinath Kasivisuwanathan, 27, Wembley
- Apr 17: Steven Brown, 47, Stoke Newington
- Apr 23: Meshak Williams, 21, Harlesden
- Apr 26: Mihrican Mustafa, 38, Canning Town
- Apr 26: Henriett Szucs, 34, Canning Town
- Apr 26: Amy Parsons, 35, Whitechapel
- Apr 26: Joshua White, 29, Hackney
- May 1: Tashaun Aird, 15, Hackney
- May 5: Constantin Sin, 51, Leytonstone
- May 5: McCaulay Urugbezi-Edwards, 18, Southwark
- May 16: Barrington Davis, 54, Lewisham
- May 23: Vladimir Koudriavtsev, 69, Kensington
- May 23: Tatiana Koudriavtsev, 68, Kensington
- May 25: Iderval da Silva, 46, Battersea
- May 26: Alimal Islam, 23, Tower Hamlets
- May 28: Ismail Ceesay, 33, Forest Gate
- May 30: Steven Kennedy, 61, Plaistow Park
- May 30: Graham Howe, 53, Harrow
- Jun 1: Baris Kucuk, 33, Haringey
- Jun 4: Adrian Murphy, 43, Battersea
- Jun 14: Cheyon Evans, 18, Wandsworth
- June 14: Eniola Aluko, 19, Plumstead
- June 15: Gleb Stanislavovitch Zhebrovsky, 34, Tower Hamlets
- June 15: Giedrius Juskauskas, 42, Stratford
- Jun 16: Stepan Suslyk, 40, Notting Hill
- June 18: David Bello-Monerville, 38, Barnet
- Jun 18: Ionut Manea, 63, Ilford
- June 21: Edward Simpson, 25, Feltham
- June 26: Yusuf Mohamed, 18, Uxbridge
- June 29: Kellymary Fauvrelle, 26, Croydon
- June 29: Riley Fauvrelle, 5 days, Croydon
- June 28: Ian Taylor, 54, Lambeth
- Jun 29: Fuad Habib, 28, Newham
- Jun 29: Gary Blagrove, 44, Fulham
- June 30: Amara Toure, 18, Southwark
- July 3: Tesfa Campbell, 40, Wandsworth
- July 5: Craig Walters, 32, Wembley
- July 5: Amanda Gretton, 57, Blackheath
- Jul 7: Grineo Daka, 27, Leyton
- Jul 8: Kwasi Mensah-Ababio, 26, Wembley
- Jul 10: Leo Marcus, 22, Kidbrooke
- Jul 11: Boluwatife Oyewunmi, 22, Enfield
- Jul 11: Kye Manning, 19, Croydon
- Jul 12: Akbar Arezo, 64, Whitton
- Jul 12: Layla Arezo, 74, Whitton
- Jul 17: Aron Kato, 28, Ilford
- Jul 18: Diane Dyer, 61, Beckenham
- Jul 25: Abdullahi Hassan, 20, South Hampstead
- Jul 23: Robert Komuro, 41, Hillingdon
- Jul 26: Liam Dent, 25, Chessington
- Jul 31: Alciveadis Mauredis, 60, Islington
- Aug 3: Dorothy Woolmer, 89, Tottenham
- May 7: Mohammed Shah Subhani, Hounslow
- Aug 12: Alex Smith, 16, Camden
- Aug 15: Solomon Small, 18, Lambeth
- Aug 20: Amrou Greenidge, 18, Fulham
- Aug 24: Allan Isichei, 69, Southall
- Aug 26: Santino Angelo, 18, Newham
- Aug 29: Lee Casey, 39, Brixton
- Aug 27: Child, 15 months, Putney
- Aug 29: Laura Rakstelyte, 31, Ilford
- Aug 30: Perry Jordan, 15, Tottenham
- Aug 31: Sandra Samuels, 45, Hackney
- Sep 1: Norman Bertran-Tavarez, 24, Southwark
- Sep 3: Michael Irving, 15, Stratford
- Sep 8: Unnamed man, 20s, Lewisham
- Sep 8: Unnamed woman, 20s, Kentish Town
- Sep 9: Unnamed man, 20s, Kentish Town
- Sep 10: Unnamed man, 17, Westminster
The capital was also hit yesterday after a man was gunned down in Kentish Town shortly after midnight and was pronounced dead at the scene.
It came less than an hour after a woman, also in her 20s, was stabbed to death around 300 yards away. Two other women were found with knife wounds at that crime scene but are expected to survive.
On Sunday afternoon, a man died of shotgun wounds in Sydenham.
The two deaths in Kentish Town came less than 12 hours after a man died from gunshot wounds in an incident in Sydenham, pictured
The scene where a woman was stabbed to death in Kentish Town, yesterday’s second killing