Quantcast

The price of meth on Australia’s east coast has tripled from $200 a gram to $600

EXCLUSIVE: The price of meth on Australia's east coast has tripled from $200 a gram to $600 as drug syndicates struggle to maintain supply...
More

    Pro-surfer sisters Ellie-Jean Coffey and Holly-Daze Coffey offer explicit OnlyFans style content

    Surfer sisters Ellie-Jean Coffey and Holly-Daze Coffey offer explicit OnlyFans-style content as they launch their 'uncensored' paid websites By Marta Jary For Daily Mail Australia...

    Kanye West ‘has spent over $3 million to gather signatures to make presidential ballot in 15 states’

    Kanye West 'has spent over $3 million to gather signatures to make the presidential ballot in 15 states... but he has been BARRED from...

    Trump says ‘out of respect’ he will wait until after RBG’s funeral to nominate her replacement

    Donald Trump says 'out of respect' he will wait until after Ruth Bader Ginsburg's funeral services to nominate her replacement on Supreme Court and...

    Iggy Azalea’s son Onyx looks angelic in first look at her baby boy since his birth earlier this year

    Iggy Azalea EXCLUSIVE: Fancy rapper's son Onyx looks like an angel as he's seen for the first time since being born earlier this year By...

    Gavin Williamson says keeping children out of school risks ‘huge dent in their future life chances’

    Under-fire Education Secretary Gavin Williamson warns parents keeping children out from school risks ‘huge dent in their future life chances’ 

    • Gavin Williamson has insisted he has no plans to resign as Education Secretary 
    • He has faced calls to quit from all quarters after the chaos around exam results 
    • Mr Williamson has also written to parents ahead of children returning to school 

    Gavin Williamson has insisted he will not resign and continue to ‘graft away’ while warning that parents who do not send their children back to school risk putting a ‘huge dent in their future life chances’.

    In an open letter to parents, the Education Secretary acknowledged that some parents may have concerns about their children attending school in England for the first time since March, with millions set to return to the classroom from next week.

    However, he insisted that schools are safe, detailing measures which have been put in place to minimise infection, while reassuring parents that the health risk posed to children by Covid-19 is ‘extremely low’.

    He also insisted that he is not considering resigning after the recent exam fiasco which saw thousands of A-level students downgraded by a computer algorithm before they had their results improved after a government u-turn. 

    Mr Williamson said last night: ‘The British people really understand we’re having to do everything for the first time.’ 

    Secretary of State for Education Gavin Williamson in his office at the Department of Education in Westminster, London. He has insisted he will not be resigning

    Pupils from years 7 and 11 return to Manor High School in Oadby, Leicestershire last Wednesday

    Pupils from years 7 and 11 return to Manor High School in Oadby, Leicestershire last Wednesday

    As well as the exams fiasco, he has faced criticism for muddled advice over the return of children to school and has also come under fire over the use of face coverings for pupils.  

    However, in an open letter last night, Mr Williamson told parents: ‘If a child is not in school, they stand to lose far more than just a few months of learning. It could well put a huge dent in their future life chances.

    ‘Education is a birthright, so let’s make sure we get all children back – back to learning, back to playing and back to being kids again.’

    He also told The Sun: ‘For every day they are out of school, we don’t get that day back.

    ‘I’ve seen it with my kids, how much they’ve missed school, missed their friends, missed learning.’

    It comes after teaching unions condemned the Government for releasing last-minute guidance for secondary schools in lockdown areas, which includes a ‘rota system’ limiting the number of students in attendance at any one time.

    Published by the Department for Education (DfE) on Friday evening, it was released just before the bank holiday weekend and only days away from the start of autumn term.

    In his letter to parents on Sunday, Mr Williamson said it was ‘generally accepted’ that children’s health and wellbeing is more at risk if they do not go to school.

    He referred to a joint statement by the UK’s chief medical officers, which said ‘very few, if any’ children and teenagers would come to long-term harm from the virus solely by attending school.

    Some of the measures highlighted by the Education Secretary include children being put in groups, or ‘bubbles’, to limit contact, while face coverings should be worn in communal areas of schools under local lockdown.

    In an open letter to parents, the Education Secretary acknowledged that some parents may have concerns about their children attending school in England

    In an open letter to parents, the Education Secretary acknowledged that some parents may have concerns about their children attending school in England

    It comes after teaching unions condemned the Government for releasing last-minute guidance for secondary schools in lockdown areas

    It comes after teaching unions condemned the Government for releasing last-minute guidance for secondary schools in lockdown areas

    He said that ‘huge lengths’ have been taken to prepare schools for the return of pupils, adding: ‘Based on this, our priority now is to get all our children back. It really is the best place for them to be.’

    Schools should base their plans on a four-tier system, and the extra measures for secondary schools should kick in at the second tier, according to the latest guidance released on Friday.

    All schools remain open at tier one, while tiers three and four mean more stringent restrictions such as closures to all but pupils in vulnerable groups or children of key workers.

    A tier two response will see secondary schools and colleges in a restricted area moving to a rota system, which means pupils will spend two weeks on-site followed by two weeks at home.

    Labour’s shadow education secretary Kate Green told Sky News that, while the guidelines were ‘long overdue’, the timing of the release of information was ‘unfair’ to head teachers and school leaders.

    Paul Whiteman, general secretary of school leaders’ union NAHT, branded the timing of the new guidance ‘reprehensible’ and said it showed a disregard for the wellbeing of teachers.

    ‘It was obvious weeks ago that lockdown advice was necessary,’ he said in a statement.

    ‘The Government’s decision to publish this at 9pm on the Friday of the bank holiday weekend before most schools are due to return is nothing short of reprehensible and demonstrates a complete lack of regard for the wellbeing of school leaders and their teams.’

    Mary Bousted, joint general secretary of the National Education Union, said the advice should have been available ‘months ago’, adding schools had been left to ‘go it alone’ if they needed to organise remote learning.

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Latest Posts

    Jessie J ‘sings about her relationship with Channing Tatum on new album’

    Jessie J 'sings about her relationship with Channing Tatum on new album and suggests they rushed into the romance too quickly' By Sean O'grady For...

    National League clubs are told their season will NOT start as planned next month

    National League clubs are told their season will NOT start as planned next month with the return of fans paused due to rising Covid...

    Critic of China’s president sentenced to 18 years in prison on corruption charges

    The former chairman of a Chinese state-owned real estate company who publicly criticized President Xi Jinping’s handling of the coronavirus crisis was sentenced to...

    Gareth Bale’s agent confirms star could stay at Tottenham for LONGER than his one-season loan

    'This is the club he wants to play at. I don't see any problems if he wants another year': Gareth Bale's agent confirms star...