Luis Suarez leaves Barcelona’s training ground IN TEARS having said goodbye to his team-mates after being forced out of the club – with Atletico Madrid paying just £3.7m to sign him
- Luis Suarez went to Barcelona’s training ground one final time on Wednesday
- He waved goodbye to Lionel Messi and his team-mates before driving away
- Barcelona are set to honour their third-highest goalscorer ever on Thursday
- But it brings to an end another transfer saga at the Spanish giants this summer
The Uruguayan said his goodbyes to good friend Lionel Messi and the rest of his teammates on Wednesday and is expected in the next few hours to be confirmed as the latest star to leave the Camp Nou in a £3.7m deal.
The 33-year-old – who will leave Barcelona as the club’s third highest goalscorer of all time – was then captured shedding tears as he briefly put his head down while he drove out of the Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper facilities.
Luis Suarez left Barcelona’s training ground in tears ahead of his move to Atletico Madrid
Since moving to Barcelona from Liverpool in 2014, Suarez has netted a remarkable 197 times in 283 appearances and the club are expected to make a farewell gesture to the striker on Thursday.
The Uruguayan will sign for two seasons with Madrid, who after Tuesday’s deal have agreed to pay just under £4m for each of the two seasons for which the Uruguayan will sign for.
However – much to the relief of Ronald Koeman who is against the clock to bring in fresh faces to the Camp Nou – Suarez’ tears appear to signal the end of yet another transfer saga at the Catalan side this summer.
On Tuesday, it was reported that Barcelona were attempting to put the brakes on Atletico’s move for Suarez by adding their rivals to a list of ‘vetoed clubs’ he can’t join, alongside rivals Real Madrid, Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain.
The Uruguayan said goodbye to team-mates including Lionel Messi ahead of the £3.7m move
Suarez has netted a remarkable 197 times in 283 appearances since joining from Liverpool
But Atletico have nevertheless emerged as the front-runners for Suarez’s signature after a move to Juventus fell through.
Suarez flew to Perugia, Italy, last week and passed a dual citizenship test in order to accelerate his move to the Serie A champions.
But that deal collapsed and Suarez could now find himself in hot water after claims by Repubblica and Ansa that there were ‘irregularities’ in the test.
It has been reported that Suarez was sent the questions in advance and passed the Italian language (B1 level) exam having already been told the answers, with an investigation by the Guardia di Finanza now underway.
But he is now set to line up for Diego Simeone’s Atletico Madrid in LaLiga next season
The police are now said to be acquiring documentation from the University of Perugia, where Suarez’s test took place, and the player risks heavy legal action by the Public Prosecutor of Perugia.
Spanish giants Barcelona meanwhile have been in a state of crisis this summer amid the coronavirus crisis crippling their finances while they were left to pick up the pieces following the huge fall-out from the Lionel Messi transfer saga.
But after board members were divided on the Messi issues, there has been a significant split in the Barcelona boardroom over the club’s choice to allow the experienced striker Suarez to join their La Liga rivals, according to Onda Cero.
Suarez will fill the gap left by Alvaro Morata, who joined Juventus on loan this week
However, to the reported dismay of some board members Suarez will join Atletico, who have themselves freed up space in the squad after Alvaro Morata joined former club Juventus on loan.
Former Liverpool star Suarez joins Arturo Vidal, Ivan Rakitic and Nelson Semedo has the high-profile departures at Camp Nou this summer.
Vidal joined Inter Milan for just £917,000 earlier this week, Croatian Rakitic went back to former club Sevilla for £1.3m while right-back Semedo has become the latest Portuguese addition at Wolves following a £37m move to Molineux.