Woman drowns in Lake Tahoe and her six children are rescued from their adrift boat after their father jumped into the freezing water and attempted to save her
- A mother drowned in Lake Tahoe Friday night after she jumped into water
- Around 5.30pm she jumped into the freezing water to swim but became distressed and her husband, wearing a life jacket, jumped in to save her
- The boat holding their six children floated away as he attempted to rescue her
- The boat was found around 9pm after people heard the kids screaming for help
- The husband and the children were hospitalized for hypothermia
- The mother was found around 9pm and after failed attempts to resuscitate her, she was pronounced dead
A woman drowned in Lake Tahoe on Friday night while boating with her family and her six children had to be rescued after their vessel floated away when their father jumped into the water to try to save her.
The horrific incident took place around 5.30pm near Zephyr Cove on the California-Nevada border.
The woman, who has not been identified, jumped from a boat into the freezing water to swim, but she suddenly became distressed and asked for help. It is believed she was not wearing a flotation device at the time.
A woman drowned in Lake Tahoe on Friday night while boating with her family and the vessel holding her six kids floated away as her husband jumped into the water to rescue her. A Marine-24 boat used in the rescue above
The woman, who has not been identified, jumped from a boat into the freezing water to swim, but she suddenly became distressed and her husband jumped in to try and save her
Her husband jumped into the water wearing a life vest to help her.
As he tried to rescue her, the boat they were on floated away with the children still on board, the oldest being 13, according to MyNews4.
The Tahoe Douglas Fire Protection District received a call around 7pm and Marine 24 and the US Coast Guard responded.
The boat was found around 9pm after people heard the kids screaming on board the boat yelling for help.
Authorities arrived to the scene and later found the father suffering from ‘severe hypothermia.’
The horrific incident took place around 5.30pm near Zephyr Cove on the California-Nevada border
The father and the kids were taken to nearby hospitals suffering from varying degrees of hypothermia.
The woman’s body was found just after 9pm.
Rescuers attempted to resuscitate her but they were unsuccessful and she was pronounced dead.
It’s not clear why the father could not get back onto the boat after jumping into the lake.
The incident is currently under investigation.
DailyMail.com has reached out to Tahoe Fire for more details.