BREAKING NEWS: C-SPAN suspends political editor Steve Scully for LYING that his twitter account was hacked when he sent message to Trump enemy Anthony Scaramucci
C-SPAN anchor Steve Scully has been put on ‘administrative leave’ after lying about his Twitter account being hacked, the cable network announced Thursday.
Scully had sent out a tweet to Trump critic Anthony Scaramucci on the heels of President Donald Trump calling Scully – who was supposed to moderate the now cancelled second presidential debate – a ‘Never Trumper’ on Sean Hannity’s show.
‘Out of frustration, I sent a brief tweet addressed to Anthony Scaramucci,’ Scully said in a statement given to DailyMail.com by C-SPAN. ‘The next morning when I saw that this tweet had created a new controversy, I falsely claimed that my Twitter account had been hacked.’
The network, known for airing House and Senate floor action and Congressional hearings without interruption, said Scully made C-SPAN and the Commission on Presidential Debates aware of what he had done on Wednesday.
‘By not being immediately forthcoming to C-SPAN and the Commission about his tweet, he understands that he made a serious mistake,’ a statement from C-SPAN said. ‘We were very saddened by this news and do not condone his actions.’
C-SPAN applauded the ‘fairness and professionalism’ Scully had demonstrated in his 30 years at the cable channel. ‘He has built a reservoir of goodwill among those he has interviewed, fellow journalists, our viewers, and with us,’ the statement said.
The network said Scully’s leave would begin immediately.
‘After some distance from this episode, we believe in his ability to continue to contribute to C-SPAN,’ the network said.
Scully said he was motivated to lie because of the ‘relentless criticism on social media and in conservative news outlets regarding my role as moderator for the second presidential debate, including attacks aimed directly at my family.’
He said the culminating moment of these attacks included Trump calling him out by name on Hannity, which was the president’s second call-in appearance last Thursday as he was homebound at the White House recovering from the coronavirus.
The Miami presidential debate was supposed to take place Thursday night, but was cancelled after Trump refused to participate virtually.