‘They didn’t want to get me a vaccine WIN’: Donald Trump accuses the FDA of holding up Pfizer vaccine until after the election and says delaying the decision cost lives
- Donald Trump on Monday night lashed out at the Food and Drug Administration
- He accused the FDA of deliberately slowing progress on a vaccine to thwart him
- Trump said that the FDA did not want to announce a vaccine before the election
- He and his son have also argued that Pfizer was hoping to harm his chances
- They believe the drug was delayed as punishment for his price reductions
On Monday Pfizer announced that their vaccination was proved to be 90 per cent effective in clinical trials. Their data will now go to the FDA for approval, and once the FDA gives the green light a mass vaccination program can begin.
Donald Trump Jr said the timing was ‘nefarious’, and was because his father was hated by the pharmaceutical industry for forcing them to lower their prices.
On Monday night the president accused the FDA of seeking to sabotage his campaign too.
‘The @USFDA and the Democrats didn’t want to have me get a Vaccine WIN, prior to the election, so instead it came out five days later – As I’ve said all along!’ he tweeted.
He insisted that his actions had resulted in the creation of a vaccine in record time, arguing that had Joe Biden been president, it would have taken far longer to find treatment.
‘If Joe Biden were President, you wouldn’t have the Vaccine for another four years, nor would the @USFDA have ever approved it so quickly. The bureaucracy would have destroyed millions of lives!’ he said.
And he said that the FDA had cost lives by the supposed hold up.
‘As I have long said, @Pfizer and the others would only announce a Vaccine after the Election, because they didn’t have the courage to do it before.
‘Likewise, the @USFDA should have announced it earlier, not for political purposes, but for saving lives!’