Tom Cruise is back in action as he clutches a walkie talkie while filming Mission: Impossible 7 with Simon Pegg and Rebecca Ferguson in Venice
Tom Cruise was joined by his two principal co-stars on Wednesday as location filming commenced on the set of forthcoming film Mission: Impossible 7.
The Hollywood star had good company in the form of Rebecca Ferguson and Simon Pegg during his latest appearance in Venice, where production continues in earnest following a lengthy disruption caused by the coronavirus health crisis.
Dressed in the casual black bomber jacket and matching jeans favoured by central character Ethan Hunt, Cruise, 58, appeared to be filming another scene with his co-stars on a deserted city square.
Here he is: Tom Cruise was dressed in character as Ethan Hunt while filming another scene on the Venice set of Mission: Impossible 7 on Wednesday
With a large bag slung over one shoulder, the actor was seen issuing commands through a walkie talkie while flanked by Ferguson and Pegg, who were also weighed down with heavy bags.
After weeks of shooting high octane scenes across the Italian city the mood appeared to be notably lighter on Wednesday, with Pegg – who reprises his role as field agent Benji Dunn – offering a broad grin as he walked alongside Cruise.
Ferguson, who also returns as former MI6 agent Ilsa Faust, was no less cheerful while making her way across the quiet exterior location.
In good company: The actor was joined by co-stars Simon Pegg and Rebecca Ferguson as he walked across a deserted city square
They’ve got baggage: The stars were weighed down with heavy bags as they filmed their latest scene in the picturesque Italian city
In October Cruise held crisis talks with Mission Impossible 7 director Christopher McQuarrie after 12 people on set reportedly tested positive for COVID-19.
Health chiefs were said to be tracing the contacts of those who tested positive after filming was suspended, dashing hopes it was an isolated case.
It appeared to be yet another blow for the action movie franchise after filming was suspended earlier this year during the first European wave of coronavirus when cases rose sharply in Italy.
Staying safe: In accordance with current health and safety guidelines Tom wore a face covering as he relaxed between takes
Lets go: Pegg also masked up as he made his way across an empty street with members of the production team
The actor and the director, who worked together on previous Mission Impossible movies and Jack Reacher, were deep in conversation at their luxury base in the city, days after the situation came to light, but filming has now been allowed to continue with production restarting last week.
In October The Sun reported 150 extras for the film were informed they were not to come in to shoot scenes that were on the filming schedule for the evening.
While no official reason was given for the sudden decision, it was claimed a coronavirus test had come back positive from the production so filming needed to be suspended temporarily.
Upbeat: After weeks of shooting high octane scenes across the Italian city the mood appeared to be notably lighter on Wednesday, with British star Pegg offering a broad grin
Coming soon: The seventh instalment in the Mission: Impossible franchise is expected to go on general release in 2021
A source speaking to the publication claimed: ‘There are about 150 extras involved in the filming and late on Thursday they were all told not to turn up for work and they would be notified when they would be allowed back on set.
‘No official reason has been given but it’s feared it’s down to COVID and this will be the second time the production has been hit because of the virus.’
Crew also urged members of the public to remain socially distanced from one another as they waited to see the stars, while Cruise and director Christopher are also said to have made the request.
Shortly after, The Sun reported that health chiefs were tracing contacts of at least 12 people who tested positive from the set after filming was suspended, dashing hopes it was an isolated case.
MailOnline contacted Paramount Pictures and Tom Cruise’s representatives for comment at the time.