‘I’m down for it’: Conor McGregor accepts Rafael dos Anjos’ call out after Brazilian reignited their rivalry by saying ‘it is the fight to make’ following Khabib Nurmagomedov’s retirement
- Conor McGregor has accepted Rafael dos Anjos’ challenge to a fight
- The Brazilian claimed that a clash with McGregor is now ‘the fight to make’
- Dos Anjos believes he and McGregor are the ‘only champions’ at lightweight
- Khabib Nurmagomedov was the UFC champion but recently said he is retiring
Rafael dos Anjos has called out Conor McGregor, saying that a clash with the 32-year-old is ‘the fight to make’.
After beating Paul Felder, dos Anjos turned his attention to McGregor, who he believes should be his next opponent after Khabib Nurmagomedov, the UFC lightweight champion, retired.
As reported by The Sun, dos Anjos said: ‘I think if Khabib is really retired, it will leave the division wide open.
Rafael dos Anjos has called out Conor McGregor, saying that it is now ‘the fight to make’
McGregor accepted dos Anjos’ offer but insisted that he will take on Dustin Poirier first
‘If you look to the contenders, I think only me and Conor, we are the only real champions in that division.
‘Everybody else is all interim champions. I think if the division is open, me and Conor is the fight to make.’
McGregor took to Twitter to accept dos Anjos’ offer but insisted that he will take on Dustin Poirier first.
He wrote: ‘Dustin first, but I’m down for it all. Throwback to this classic lol.’
The rivals were set to face each other in 2016 but dos Anjos withdrew through injury
The pair were set to face each other in 2016, but dos Anjos withdrew from the fight after breaking his foot, with Nate Diaz stepping in to replace him.
Diaz managed to get the better of McGregor as he secured a surprise victory before the Irishman exacted revenge in their blockbuster rematch.
Last month UFC’s lightweight champion and No 1 pound-for-pound fighter Nurmagomedov retired from the sport after defeating Justin Gaethje at UFC 254.
UFC president Dana White is, however, confident that Nurmagomedov will return for at least one more fight and has refused to strip him of the title.
McGregor had stated that he would not fight again under the UFC back in June but will now make his comeback on January 23 against Poirier.