Quantcast

PIERS MORGAN: My 12 shameless, rule-breaking celebrity Covidiots

PIERS MORGAN: From dimwit Cardi and brazen Kim to zombie Rudy and delusional Donald - if there's one thing dumber than turkeys this Christmas,...
More

    James Martin’s This Morning segment descends into CHAOS

    'I got up at 5am to come here!' James Martin's fumes as his soup boils over, blender lid flies off and host Phillip Schofield...

    Trump will join Fox News’ Maria Bartiromo Sunday at 10am in his first interview since Election Day

    Donald Trump will join Fox News' Maria Bartiromo on Sunday at 10am in his first interview since Election Day as he continues to dispute...

    China attacks Australia with vile fake image of soldier and Afghan child

    China attacks Australia with vile fake image of soldier holding a knife to the throat of an Afghan child in shocking reference to 'war...

    Adelaide’s coronavirus cluster swells as a high school student tests positive

    Adelaide’s coronavirus cluster swells as a high school student tests positive with even MORE infections to be announced within hours

    • Three new coronavirus infections have been recorded in Adelaide on Tuesday  
    • New cases are attached to a emerging cluster linked to a family in north Adelaide
    • Premier Steven Marshall described cluster as the state’s ‘biggest test so far’ 
    • He has introduced new restrictions to slow the spread including closing gyms  

    Three new coronavirus infections have been recorded in South Australia as the state battles an outbreak in Adelaide’s northern suburbs.   

    A student at Roma Mitchell Secondary College in Gepps Cross, Adelaide’s north, is among the fresh cases reported on Tuesday.   

    The new infections are attached to the emerging cluster – linked to a family in north Adelaide – which has prompted the state government to reimpose a range of coronavirus restrictions. 

    Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt said the three new cases are connected to the cluster.

    ‘There are no cases of community transmission in South Australia outside of that cluster,’ he said on Tuesday afternoon. 

    Pictured: Residents queue at a COVID-19 test facility at Parafield Airport in Adelaide on Tuesday

    There are now more than 20 confirmed and suspected cases associated to the outbreak.

    Pubs, clubs and restaurants will be limited to 100 people per venue from Tuesday, with one person per four square metres and no stand-up drinking.

    Table bookings and home gatherings will be capped at 10 people, with funerals limited to 50 and weddings to 150.

    Gyms and recreation centres will be closed for two weeks and community sport fixtures will be cancelled – but schools will stay open.

    Hair and nail salon workers and tattooists must wear masks, and general mask wearing is strongly advised where social distancing is not possible.

    South Australia is under new coronavirus restrictions as the state battles a cluster of new cases. Pictured: Residents queue for Covid testing in Victoria Park, Adelaide

    South Australia is under new coronavirus restrictions as the state battles a cluster of new cases. Pictured: Residents queue for Covid testing in Victoria Park, Adelaide

    Hundreds of people have lined up to get a coronavirus test at a pop-up clinic in Parafield, northern Adelaide on Monday morning as a family cluster in the suburb continues to grow

    Hundreds of people have lined up to get a coronavirus test at a pop-up clinic in Parafield, northern Adelaide on Monday morning as a family cluster in the suburb continues to grow

    New Covid rules for SA 

    Pubs and clubs: Capped at 100

    Weddings: Capped at 150

    Funerals: Capped at 50

    Gyms: Closed for two weeks

    Community sport: Cancelled

    Masks: Compulsory for salon and tattoo workers, encouraged for general use

    Schools: Remain open

    Advertisement

    Adelaide residents said they had witnessed panic buying as people rushed to the shops to stock up in anticipation of restrictions. International flights to the city have been suspended. 

    Western Australia, Queensland, Tasmania and the Northern Territory have imposed quarantine for people arriving from South Australia, while Victoria has introduced extra screening. 

    There were three locally acquired infections reported on Sunday – including one person who works in a medi-hotel.

    On Monday, 18 additional coronavirus cases were confirmed. 

    Five were in returned travellers and 13 were linked to the growing cluster.

    SA Health authorities said there are also three suspected cases in children.  

    One case has been confirmed overnight, involving a close contact of one of the hotel worker’s family members. 

    SA Health authorities believe the outbreak started when a worker at Peppers Hotel quarantine in Adelaide’s CBD brought the virus home.

    A woman in her 50s and a man in his 60s, as well as an 80-year-old woman – one of their mothers – were among the first to test positive.

    The 80-year-old woman went to Adelaide’s Lyell McEwin Hospital for testing.

    Contact tracing is underway for about 90 staff and patients at the hospital who may have come into contact with her.

    A primary school child, a year eight student, a Hungry Jack’s worker and two aged care workers have also tested positive. 

    South Australia’s Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier revealed the spike in cases on Monday.

    ‘It looks like we’re in the beginning or early part of what could be a second wave but we have time to get on top of it,’ she said. 

    Cars queue for the COVID-19 testing facility at Victoria Park, just outside the Adelaide CBD on Monday

    Cars queue for the COVID-19 testing facility at Victoria Park, just outside the Adelaide CBD on Monday

    Gyms and recreation centres will be closed for two weeks and community sport fixtures will be cancelled - but schools will stay open

    Gyms and recreation centres will be closed for two weeks and community sport fixtures will be cancelled – but schools will stay open

    Pubs, clubs and restaurants will be limited to 100 people per venue, with one person per four square metres and no stand-up drinking

    Pubs, clubs and restaurants will be limited to 100 people per venue, with one person per four square metres and no stand-up drinking

    STATES REACT TO SA CLUSTER

    NSW: Border with SA remains open, but Gladys Berejiklian says she is watching the situation ‘carefully’

    VIC : Has not closed its border with SA, but travellers entering the state will be interviewed at Melbourne airport and could be made to take a rapid test

    QLD : Has declared Adelaide a hotspot. Anyone who arrives from the SA capital after 11.59pm Monday must undergo hotel quarantine for 14 days. Travellers already in Queensland from last Monday must get tested and quarantine where they are for 14 days 

    TAS/WA/NT: Mandatory 14-day quarantine for anyone arriving from South Australia, with those already in the state made to self-isolate

    Advertisement

    Warnings were issued for a range of public bus services and various locations including a swimming centre, fruit shop, two supermarkets, a chemist, a GP surgery, a department store and a hotel in the centre of Adelaide city. 

    Premier Steven Marshall said: ‘I want to assure all South Australians that we are working around the clock to stay ahead of this cluster. No effort will be spared to slow and stop the spread.

    ‘We are facing our biggest test to date,’ he added.

    ‘We can and we must rise to this new challenge. We are working around the clock to stay ahead of this cluster. We cannot wait to see how bad this gets.’ 

    Waiting times at testing stations in Adelaide have blown out to hours as thousands of people rush to get checked for COVID-19.

    An Anglicare aged care centre at suburban Brompton was also placed in lockdown after two staff members tested positive.

    A pop-up testing station has been established at the Parafield Airport as officials frantically try to contain the spread.

    Hundreds flocked to it and other testing facilities on Monday, with long lines forcing some to wait for hours.

    Mr Marshall briefed Prime Minister Scott Morrison and accepted extra ADF troops to help with contact tracing.

    The premier said the cluster had been linked to someone who worked at one of Adelaide’s quarantine hotels but it was too early to say what went wrong.

    ‘My focus at the moment is doing everything I can, that the government can to get on top of this as quickly as possible,’ he said.

    SA Health advised students at the Mawson Lakes School and pre-school not to attend on Monday after a student was identified as a close contact of one of the positive cases.

    The Thomas More College was also closed after a confirmed case of coronavirus, and the Hungry Jack’s outlet at Port Adelaide was shut.

    Western Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory have all declared South Australia a coronavirus hotspot and shut their borders to the state. Pictured: a Qantas flight to Adelaide last month

    Western Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory have all declared South Australia a coronavirus hotspot and shut their borders to the state. Pictured: a Qantas flight to Adelaide last month

    Another case was linked to the Yatala prison in Adelaide, with the Courts Administration Authority cancelling all appearances by prisoners held in the jail, either in person or by video link.

    NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said she was monitoring the interstate situation closely and insisted the borders would remain open to all, saying everyone needed to learn to live with Covid-19 and the inevitable outbreaks.

    ‘You can’t shut down borders and disrupt lives every time there is an outbreak and disrupt businesses.

    ‘We need to have confidence, not just in our own system, but the system in other states to be able to get on top of the virus,’ she told reporters on Monday. 

    With AAP 

    ADELAIDE’S COVID-19 OUTBREAK – WHAT WE KNOW SO FAR 

    By Lauren Ferri, for Daily Mail Australia 

    A worker at the Peppers Hotel in the Adelaide CBD is believed to have caught the virus from an international traveller and then infected her large family. 

    The couple – a woman in her 50s and a man in his 60s then gave it to an 80-year-old woman, who is one of their mothers.

    Elderly woman visited the Parafield Plaza Asian supermarket between 10:30am and 11:30am on Thursday without knowing she was infectious.

    Growth in the Parafield outbreak led to the family cluster in South Australia rising to 17 cases on Monday. 

    SA Health authorities believe the outbreak started when a worker at Peppers Hotel’s quarantine facility in Adelaide’s CBD brought the virus home. The CBD hotel is pictured

    Western Australia has since forced all arrivals from SA since Saturday to self-quarantine for 14 days.

    More than 90 people already forced into quarantine as dozens of locations put on high alert:

    Anyone who was in the emergency department at Lyell McEwin Hospital between 5pm Friday 13 November and 4am on Saturday 14 November told to self-isolate immediately.

    Prisoners are being tested at Yatala Labour Prison after an employee who was a close contact of the family contact contracted COVID-19.

    Anyone who visited Parafield Plaza Supermarket between 10.30am and 11.30am on Thursday November 12 told to watch for symptoms.

    Mawson Lakes Primary School has been closed for 24 hours after a close contact of a student tested positive to the virus. 

    Thomas More College in north Adelaide has closed for at least 24 hours after a student at the school tested positive – and Hungry Jack’s in Port Adelaide has also been closed for a deep clean.

    Advertisement

     

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Latest Posts

    Dolly Parton, Barbra Streisand and Patti LaBelle are ultimate ‘divas’ on the covers of T Magazine

    Dolly Parton, Barbra Streisand and Patti LaBelle are the ultimate 'divas' on the covers of T Magazine holiday issue By Tracy Wright For Dailymail.com ...

    Barnier claims PM has agreed to keep Britain tied to European human rights rules after Brexit 

    Boris Johnson 'has caved in on human rights': Michel Barnier claims Prime Minister has agreed to keep Britain tied to European human rights rules...

    Nurse shares candid plea as she begs people to stick to social distancing rules

    'We are fighting but we are tired': Nurse begs people to stick to social distancing rules and urges families to rethink seeing one another...

    Home and Away’s Emily Symons shares a photo of herself and The Queen

    'Wonder if this will be in The Crown?' Home and Away's Emily Symons shares a photo of herself shaking hands with The Queen's in...