NSW backflips on travel advice to South Australia by warning residents to AVOID travelling to and from the state
- New South Wales residents have been told to avoid travelling to South Australia
- Gladys Berejiklian advised against non-essential travel between the states
- The Parafield cluster in Adelaide’s northern suburbs grew to 20 on Tuesday
Premier Gladys Berejiklian backflipped on her travel advice on Wednesday, after confirmed virus infections linked to the Parafield cluster in Adelaide’s northern suburbs grew to 20 on Tuesday.
The premier said NSW’s borders ‘are completely open but if it’s not essential travel think about whether you want to go in the next few days’.
New South Wales residents have been told to avoid travelling to South Australia as the state grapples with a coronavirus cluster in Adelaide. Pictured: Residents queue for a coronavirus test in Adelaide on Tuesday
‘We are confident that SA has it under control but we’re just saying to our community … if you can delay it for a few days unless you have to go there please do so,’ Ms Berejiklian said.
Meanwhile, passengers who arrived from SA on recent flights and trains are being contacted and having their temperature checked and asked if they had visited any areas of concern.
Health Minister Brad Hazzard said the advice had come from Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant who had been in contact with SA authorities.
‘We have no intention at the present time of closing the border,’ he told Seven’s Sunrise program.
‘What we do want is people to minimise their travel. We don’t want families to be separated unnecessarily and we don’t want business to stop.’
Speaking on Today, Mr Hazzard also delivered a travel warning to South Australians.
‘I’ve got to say, as NSW Health Minister, to our friends in Adelaide, don’t come to New South Wales unless you really have to,’ he said.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian backflipped on her travel advice on Wednesday, after confirmed virus infections linked to the Parafield cluster in Adelaide’s northern suburbs grew to 20 on Tuesday
The Adelaide cluster could derail national plans to open state borders before Christmas.
All states except Western Australia have committed to easing restrictions by December 25.
But Queensland, the Northern Territory, Tasmania and WA have now slammed the gates shut on South Australia.
NSW and Victoria have increased screening for Adelaide arrivals.
Earlier, Ms Berejiklian insisted the borders would remain open to all, saying everyone needed to learn to live with COVID and the inevitable outbreaks.
‘You can’t shut down borders and disrupt lives every time there is an outbreak and disrupt businesses,’ she said on Monday.
‘We need to have confidence, not just in our own system, but the system in other states to be able to get on top of the virus.
‘It is how you deal with those outbreaks and we are confident if that happened in NSW we would get on top of it and similarly SA authorities are getting on top of it.’
Pictured: Health authorities are seen testing people in cars at Victoria Park COVID testing centre in Adelaide on Tuesday