Mauricio Pochettino ‘still open to taking over at Barcelona despite rejecting the job TWICE’ with former Tottenham boss willing to put aside Espanyol loyalties for Nou Camp role
- Mauricio Pochettino is reportedly still open to becoming manager of Barcelona
- The ex-Tottenham boss has rejected the job on two separate occasions before
- However, the Argentine now appears willing to put aside his Espanyol loyalties
- Pochettino vowed in the past to never take the Barca job but regrets saying it
Mauricio Pochettino is reportedly still open to becoming Barcelona manager in the future – despite the fact that he has rejected the job twice before.
The Argentine is currently out of work after parting ways with Tottenham a year ago and has been approached by a number of clubs to take charge, including the Catalan giants.
According to the Evening Standard, Pochettino was asked to take over at the Nou Camp on two separate occasions in the past year but ‘politely declined’ as he waited for the right opportunity to present itself.
Mauricio Pochettino is open to taking over at Barcelona despite rejecting the job twice before
Barcelona approached him following the sacking of Ernesto Valverde in January but when Pochettino refused the job, they offered it to Quique Setien instead.
Setien’s disastrous reign came to an end following the club’s humiliating 8-2 defeat at the hands of Bayern Munich in the Champions League, which saw the Catalan club offer it to Pochettino again.
The 48-year-old, once again, refused the job which allowed Ronald Koeman to take over.
Pochettino has gone on record in the past to say that he would never take the job on principle due to his loyal connections with Espanyol, Barca’s city rivals, where he spent time as a player and as a manager.
He was offered the Barca job after Ernesto Valverde (left) and Quique Setien (right) were axed
Pochettino has also been linked with Manchester United, Man City, Chelsea and other clubs
The ex-Spurs boss admitted that he regrets saying he would never manage Barca and only rejected the roles because the project wasn’t right at the time, the report claims.
Pochettino is also said to fear accepting one imperfect chance to return to football just as his ideal role pops up.
A number of clubs have been linked with Pochettino, with Manchester United, Chelsea, Man City and PSG all interested, while the man himself hopes to get back to the touchline in the coming months.
‘I am always ready to go again and be involved in the game,’ Pochettino said on Sky Sports’ Monday Night Football earlier this month.
‘It’s not stress when you are working, it’s not stress going into the training round to prepare the match and to compete.
‘I hope to go back soon so we can start again to work. I am looking forward to being back in the game. I love this game but it’s difficult. We are inside and working on doing things. That’s the reality.’
Pochettino told Monday Night Football he is ready to make a return to management
Tottenham legend and close friend Ossie Ardiles has claimed that Pochettino’s mind is already made up on where he wants to go next.
The 68-year-old stated: ‘[Pochettino] has had a few offers, but for one reason or another it’s not happened.
‘He’s just waiting and he’s in a very good position, he can more or less choose where to go. He knows exactly what he wants to do.
‘Football is his life, so he’s been watching everything and he likes to talk about football. He’ll take his time and, before long, he’ll be working again.’