Quantcast
Home News New Zealand mother whose Dunedin home was burned down lashes out at neighbours

New Zealand mother whose Dunedin home was burned down lashes out at neighbours

0
New Zealand mother whose Dunedin home was burned down lashes out at neighbours

Furious mum-of-three whose family home went up in flames lashes out at ‘idiotic’ neighbours who left a backyard fire pit smouldering on a very windy day – sparking blaze that almost took out an entire street

  •  Alice Hudson’s Dunedin rental property was burned to the ground on Saturday
  •  Authorities have said the fire was caused by her neighbour’s day-old fire pit
  • She labelled her neighbours’ actions as ‘idiotic’ and glad the findings were out 

A mother-of-three who lost her home in a fire caused by her neighbours’ day-old fire pit has slammed them for their ‘idiotic’ actions.

Alice Hudson’s rental home in Dunedin, on New Zealand‘s South Island’s south-east coast, was burned down in high winds on November 21.

She saw smoke from her neighbours’ fire pit being blown in the wind before embers were transferred onto her shed and bushes – sparking the huge blaze which gutted her home.

Ms Hudson was forced to flee the property with her two youngest children and watch on as their entire home was destroyed and the street they lived on evacuated.

Alice Hudson’s home in Dunedin on New Zealand’s South Island’s south-east coast, was destroyed after a fire on November 21

Ms Hudson (pictured) was forced to flee the property with her two youngest children and watch on as their entire home was left gutted, and the street they lived on evacuated as a result

Ms Hudson (pictured) was forced to flee the property with her two youngest children and watch on as their entire home was left gutted, and the street they lived on evacuated as a result

‘It’s just idiotic really – who the hell doesn’t throw water over a blimmin’ fire pit when there’s severe wind warnings? Who even has one going the day before,’ she told Radio NZ

‘I’m angry – but it is pointless being angry, because it doesn’t change the fact that we lost everything.’ 

Ms Hudson has also expressed devastation for her landlord, who has also lost everything. 

The mother-of-three said she has been overwhelmed by the kindness from complete strangers. 

Martin and Annabel Rutherford have been among those who have offered food, clothes and belongings to the family.

She saw smoke from her neighbours' firepit being blown in the wind before embers were transferred onto her shed and bushes - eventually destroying her home (pictured)

She saw smoke from her neighbours’ firepit being blown in the wind before embers were transferred onto her shed and bushes – eventually destroying her home (pictured)

Ms Hudson lost her home and car (pictured) in the horrific blaze which started in a neighbour's fire pit

Ms Hudson lost her home and car (pictured) in the horrific blaze which started in a neighbour’s fire pit

The couple have given Ms Hudson and her family their three-bedroom home to live in rent free until the new year. 

‘I’ve done it because I can. These people are part of the community and we can help,’ Mr Rutherford told the Otago Daily Times

Ms Hudson and her husband Josh were completely taken aback by the offer. 

‘There’s not many rental properties out this way. This is huge. We’re incredibly grateful for the offer. It’s really overwhelmed us,’ she said.

The family said its taken a huge weight off of their shoulders as they were worried about where they would put the donations and being forced to pull their children out of school if they had to relocate. 

Ms Hudson took to Facebook on Tuesday to thank people for their kindness, but said she was still heartbroken at what they had lost (pictured, her gutted home)

Ms Hudson took to Facebook on Tuesday to thank people for their kindness, but said she was still heartbroken at what they had lost (pictured, her gutted home)

Ms Hudson took to Facebook on Tuesday to thank people for their kindness, but said she was still heartbroken at what they had lost.

‘I know that “things” are replaceable, but they were my things, I spent my life collecting,’ she said.

‘We were able to salvage some things but its mostly smoke damaged or water logged, we weren’t able to salvage anything of George’s. 

‘His rugby trophies, his new prized mountain bike we had built for him and he had just moved his skateboard from the front door to the back, where his fishing gear also was from fishing that morning – the door is no longer even there.’

A Give A Little page has raised more than $25,000 for the family to get back on their feet.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here