Quantcast
Home News Hugs in care homes WILL be allowed again this Christmas in England

Hugs in care homes WILL be allowed again this Christmas in England

0
Hugs in care homes WILL be allowed again this Christmas in England

Hugs in care homes WILL be allowed this Christmas: Government confirms sector will be given 1million rapid coronavirus tests to scrap social distancing in family visits

  • Department of Health said ‘holding hands and a hug… may be possible’
  • Homes will have to test residents and visitors often to keep coronavirus at bay
  • Residents are most at risk from Covid and have been under lock and key all year

Care home residents will be allowed to hug and hold hands with their relatives this Christmas under relaxed new visiting rules.  

The Government today announced that one million rapid tests will be given out to allow families to visit care homes and even forgo social distancing with loved ones.

After months of tightly regulated visits, mostly taking place through screens or outdoors, the update will be a ray of hope for hundreds of thousands of families across England.

In its new advice the Department of Health said: ‘If a visitor has a negative test, is wearing appropriate PPE, and following other infection control measures then it may be possible for visitors to be have physical contact with their loved one, such as providing personal care, holding hands and a hug.’

Officials warn that these visits, and particularly ones with physical contact, will increase the risk of transmitting Covid-19 but they won’t be banned. 

Homes themselves will be allowed to set out their own rules on many aspects of visiting.

Ministers are still not comfortable enough to let elderly residents back out into the community, however, and said trips out of the home should only be allowed for residents under the age of 65.

Care home visits have been tightly regulated all year to try and reduce the risk of people spreading Covid-19 in the homes, where residents are extremely vulnerable to the disease (Pictured: A woman visits her step-father at a home in Falmouth, Cornwall last week)

More than a million tests will be sent to care home providers over the next month which will enable safe indoor visits, the Department of Health said.

Visits will be able to take place across all tiers, and the first visits will start on Wednesday.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said: ‘I know how difficult it has been for people in care homes and their families to be apart for so long. 

‘The separation has been painful but has protected residents and staff from this deadly virus.

‘I’m so pleased we are now able to help reunite families and more safely allow people to have meaningful contact with their loved ones by Christmas.

‘This news has been made possible by the unprecedented strides made in testing technology and capacity, as well as extra personal protective equipment (PPE) supplies.’

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here